In the finance department, we are responsible for acquiring funds for the district, managing funds within the district and planning for the expenditure of funds in order to provide a high-quality education for students. Our services include:
- Accounts Payable
- Financial reporting
- Cash flow
- Debt management
- State, federal and local reporting
- Safeguarding district assets
- Internal control management (oversight and accountability)
- Other financial services, including contract review, deposits, etc.
Accounts Payable is responsible for payments for goods and services purchased by our district. This includes paying invoices, purchase orders and purchase cards. In an effort to function remotely and promote going green, we would prefer to have invoices, credits and statements emailed to our accounting department email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purchases are made at school and district levels. Whenever possible we request the use of purchase orders (PO). The overall goal of purchases is to get the best pricing for the district needs. Larger dollar purchase items are required by law to be made through open bidding.
The district requires a W-9 Form for independent contractors or other people who work for themselves. This is your business tax ID number or social security number. A blank form is available for you to fill out and return to the accounting department via email email@example.com. Federal law states the W-9 needs to be updated every three years.
If you need to send payment to Richfield Public Schools and require a copy of our W-9, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-798-6064.
For security purposes, our tax exempt certificate is not posted online. To request a current copy of our Tax Exempt Form please email email@example.com or call 612-798-6064.
The Fiscal Planning Advisory Committee (FPAC) consists of parents and community representatives, with school staff and two liaisons from the Board of Education acting as non-voting, ex-officio members, with the goal of (14) members. The district is annually seeking new membership anticipating a few members will not return in subsequent years. Active members are asked to provide recommendations of prospective members.
The general purpose of the FPAC is to provide advice and counsel to the superintendent in areas of budget and finance-related planning. The reoccurring task each year is to help prepare and review the next year’s fiscal plan, which is the basis for budget development and staffing. Other activities may emerge related to the areas of focus by the superintendent in any particular school year. In years when significant cutbacks have been required to balance the budget, FPAC members have attended public hearings and provided input and guidance regarding ways to reduce expenditures or increase revenues. In years when the superintendent is considering whether to seek additional resources through a local referendum, the FPAC has reviewed the district’s needs and provided recommendations to the superintendent. If an issue that has significant financial implications comes up while the committee is not meeting, the committee chair has the option of calling a special meeting.
Meeting Dates and Times
Meetings are typically held on the second Monday of the month from 6:30-8 p.m. in the District Board Room.
There are several ways to support our students, classrooms and District through financial gifts as well as in-kind donations. All donations should be made through one of these approved channels. Donations are accepted and approved by the Board of Education.
- School supplies can be purchased and donated at any time. You can contact one of our schools directly to inquire about specific needs or drop-off times.
- Adopt-A-Classroom: Through Adopt-A-Classroom, teachers and staff create pages with items that they are seeking for their classroom or program. Donors can select the items they wish to purchase and the items are delivered directly to the school. You can search by school name, teacher name and more.
- Donate online through any of our GiveMN pages:
- Send checks, payable to Independent School District #280, to the District office (7001 Harriet Ave. S., Richfield, MN 55423).
- Support any of our booster clubs. (Booster clubs support individual student clubs and sports teams. They are not part of the District and operate outside of District oversight. To donate to a booster club, contact the club directly.)