CO-CURRICULAR AND ATHLETIC TRANSPORTATION
The purpose of this policy is to make clear to students, parents and staff the school district's policy regarding co-curricular and athletic transportation.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
The school district may charge a fee for transporting students to and from
co-curricular and athletic activities in accordance with Minnesota Statute §123B.36 that authorizes charging a fee for service.
The determination as to whether to provide transportation for students, spectators or participants to and from co-curricular or athletic activities shall be made by the school district administration. This determination shall include, but is not limited to, charter licensing requirements, the persons to be transported, the type or method to be utilized, distance to the event, available vehicles, amount of scheduling and coordination, and any other transportation arrangements.
A. Transportation for students participating in Minnesota State High School League sanctioned activities shall be provided by the district as outlined in the Administrative Guidelines.
B. The transportation cost for co-curricular activities and events shall be paid for by the students participating.
C. The cost of transportation provided to parents and user groups to an event or activity shall be borne by those participating.
Legal References: Minn. Stat. § 123B.36 (Authorized Fees)
Minn. Stat. § 123B.37 (Prohibited Fees)
Minn. Stat. § 123B.49 (Extra Curricular Transportation)
Minn. Stat. § 123B.86 (Equal Treatment)
Minn. Stat. § 123B.88 (Transportation)
Minn. Stat. § 123B.92 (Transportation Aid & Entitlement)
Cross References: Board Policy 653 (Field Trips)
Board Policy 541 (Student Behavior)
Board Policy 742 (Transportation)
Board Policy 741 (Walk Distance)
ADOPTED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION: April 15, 2002
REVISED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION: March 19, 2007
744.1 Administrative Guidelines
CO-CURRICULAR AND ATHLETIC TRANSPORTATION
These administrative guidelines are to facilitate co-curricular and athletic transportation services, pursuant to Board Policy 744.
II. Arrangement of Transportation
School district employees may undertake independent arrangement, scheduling or coordination of transportation for activities only when specifically directed or approved by the transportation department. School district employees will notify a building administrator of all transportation arrangements made.
III. Employee Transportation of Students
In the event of an emergency or other unforeseeable circumstances, employees are authorized to make appropriate transportation arrangements for students as necessary. Employees may transport students in non-emergency circumstances when approved by the transportation department. The employee shall report the relevant facts and circumstances to the administration.
Transportation shall be furnished through a commercial carrier or school-owned vehicle. All vehicles used to transport students shall be properly registered and insured. In the event a private vehicle is approved for use, a certificate of insurance must be on file in the school district office.
IV. Student Discipline
Rules of conduct and student discipline shall apply to all student transportation.
In the event a student desires to return home from an event with a parent or friend, a letter of permission, signed by the student’s parent or guardian, must be presented to the event coach prior to boarding the return bus. The letter of permission is appended to this document.
V. Co-curricular and Athletic Transportation
A. Co-curricular Transportation
1. The transportation cost to participate in a co-curricular activity or attend an event shall be the personal responsibility of the student.
B. Minnesota State High School League Activity Transportation
1. Team transportation to scheduled practices or team scrimmages shall be the personal responsibility of the athlete.
2. All team transportation shall be provided to tournaments, invitational and non-conference games and competitions within a 70 mile radius of the Richfield High School.
3. All team transportation shall be provided to conference games, or state meets.
4. Teams shall share transportation when having common destinations and may be expected to wait for the completion of each other’s events before the return trip.
1. A coach style bus is recommended for travel outside the districts 70 mile radius transportation limit.
2. Buses shall be scheduled whenever possible in such a manner to reduce the number of buses used.
3. Coaches and activity advisors are encouraged to use the 11 passenger van when transporting small groups.
4. The transportation department is encouraged to contract for transportation service when financially advantageous.
VII. Fee for Service
The transportation department will charge the user group the established cost per mile for the use of a van or school bus plus the labor cost when a licensed school bus driver is required.
Dated: April 15, 2002
Reviewed: March 19, 2007