Policy 504


    Section 500

    Board Policy 504










    The school district recognizes its responsibility in regard to the education 9 of children and youth who are experiencing homelessness. This policy is 10 intended to ensure that the district is in compliance with Every Student 11 Succeeds Act (ESSA) and the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. 12





    The Richfield Board of Education intends that children and youth who are experiencing homelessness be provided educational services comparable to those received by any student in the district. Students in homeless situations should have access to the education and other services they need to meet the same challenging state student performance standards to which all students are held. 





    A. Homeless Children and Youth 


    The term “homeless children and youth” means individuals who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence and includes: 


    1. children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason: are living in motels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate  accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional  shelters: are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster  care placement; 


    2. children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence  that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily  used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human  beings; 


    3. children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public  spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or  train stations, or similar settings; 


    4. migratory children, as defined in sections 1309 of the  Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, who 6 qualify as homeless for the purposes of this definition because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses 1 through 3. 


    B. School of Origin 11


    School of origin means the school that the child or youth attended when permanently housed or the school in which the child or youth was last enrolled. 



    C. Unaccompanied Youth 

    Unaccompanied youth means a youth, not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian. 



    D. Homeless Liaison 

    Homeless Liaison is a person(s) designated by the district as the  district contact for students in homeless situations. 





    A. School Selection 

    1. The district will, according to the child’s or youth’s best interest, continue the homeless child’s or youth’s education in the school of origin or enroll the child or youth in the school that non-homeless students who live in the attendance area eligible to attend. The child or youth may stay in the school of origin the entire time they are homeless. 


    2. In determining the best interests of the child or youth the district will comply, to the extent feasible, with the request made by a parent or guardian regarding school selection. 



    3. The choice regarding school placement will be made regardless of whether the child or youth lives with the homeless parent or has been temporarily placed elsewhere by the parent. 




    4. The Homeless Liaison will assist unaccompanied youth in placement or enrollment decisions consistent with the provisions of this policy 



    5. Homelessness alone is not sufficient reason to separate

    6 students from the mainstream school environment. Students

    7 experiencing homelessness shall not be segregated in

    8 separate schools, separate programs or settings within

    9 schools. This does not prohibit special programs for short

    10 periods of time for health and safety emergencies or to

    11 provide temporary, special and supplemental services. 



    B. Enrollment 

    1. The school must immediately enroll the homeless child or youth, even if they do not have required documents normally required for enrollment, such as school records, medical records, proof of residency, or other documents required by the district. 


    2. The enrolling school will immediately contact the school last attended by the child or youth to obtain relevant academic and other records. 


    C. Enrollment Disputes 


    1. All disputes regarding the school selection or enrollment of the homeless child or youth will be expeditiously addressed through a dispute process developed by the district consistent with the State procedures for the prompt dispute. 


    2. If a dispute arises over school selection or enrollment, the child or youth will be immediately admitted to the school in which enrollment is sought, pending resolution of the dispute. 


    3. The District Homeless Liaison will discuss the issues addressed in the dispute to determine if more information will resolve the dispute. 


    4. If the issue cannot be resolved, a letter will be issued to the 42 parent/guardian or youth explaining the district's position 43 regarding the dispute. 



    5. Either party may send a written request to the Minnesota 

    1 Department of Education State Coordinator for the

    2 Education of Homeless Children and Youth asking the State

    3 Coordinator to review the decision for compliance with

    4 applicable law. Such request must include any

    5 documentation related to the dispute resolution proceeding. 


    6. The State Coordinator may request additional information from either party as deemed relevant in resolving the dispute. 


    7. The State Coordinator will inform all parties of the final determination. 





    A. School of Origin 


    At the request of the parent or guardian, or in the case of an unaccompanied youth the Homeless Liaison, the homeless child or youth must be provided transportation to and from the school of 21 origins consistent with the district regulations regarding miles from 22 school and other transportation policies and regulations. 



    B. Determining Residency and Transportation Aid 

    1. Pursuant to M. S. 127A.47 (2) a homeless child or youth is considered a “resident” of the school they attend. 


    2. Pursuant to M. S. 123B.92, the district can only claim the cost of transporting resident students. A child or youth experiencing homelessness are considered residents of the district where the school of attendance is located, therefore only that district will be able to claim the costs of providing transportation. 





    The superintendent will develop regulations deemed necessary to carry out this policy. 


    The superintendent will appoint a person(s) to function as the Homeless Liaison.


    Legal References: Minn. Stat. 127A.47 Subd. 2 (Payments to Resident and 4 Nonresident Districts) 5

    Minn. Stat. 123B.92 (Transportation Aid Entitlement) 6

    Subtitle B of title VII of the McKinney-Vento Homeless 7 Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11431 et seq.) 8


    ADOPTED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION: February 3, 2003 10

    REVISED: June 17, 2008, June 11, 2018 11

504.1 Administrative Guidelines


    May 21, 2018




    Richfield Public Schools

    Homeless/Highly Mobile Process

    At the start of each school year, schools will communicate with all families about HHM rights and services. If a family is currently experiencing homelessness, such as staying in a shelter, hotel or temporarily with others, we can help make sure your child has stability in their education through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Act. For help in accessing these services, please contact your school's Social Worker or Counselor.

    1. Once students and families have been identified as homeless or highly mobile, the Homeless/Highly Mobile (HHM) Enrollment Form, Meal Eligibility, and the Special Transportation Request Forms are completed to ensure eligibility.

    2. All forms are available on the share drive under HHM, HHM process & forms.


    Support staff are expected to make electronic copies of the forms and save them to their hard drive for completion.

    3. The forms must be completed in its entirety. Be sure to mark if the student receives Special Ed or has a 504, which is located in the upper left-hand corner.


    Check if transportation is allowed to leave a voicemail message in the upper right-hand corner.

    Also be sure to check the homeless information on the second page.

    4. The student and family must meet at least one eligibility requirement in order to receive transportation. If a family qualifies as HHM, but doesn’t need transportation, Support staff only need to fill out HHM Enrollment Form and send it to District HHM Clerical.

    5. The student and family must meet at least one eligibility requirement in order to receive transportation.


    Support staff explain transportation expectation to families. Expectations are 1) if sick, parents and/or high school students are expected to call and cancel their ride an hour before their scheduled pickup time. 2) if there’s no a.m. pick up, parents and/or students are expected to confirm their p.m. pick up. 3) this is specialized busing, failure to call and report an absence impacts other student’s ability to get to school on time. 4) Ongoing failure to report absences could result in transportation being temporarily canceled.

    6. Once completed, the forms are sent electronically to both Transportation Secretary at tena.johnshoy@rpsmn.org and District HHM Clerical.

    7. District HHM Clerical will review the forms for completeness. Once reviewed, District HHM Clerical will add the information to HHM database.

    8. The HHM Enrollment Form will be stored electronically on the 280 Share drive.

    9. Once completed, District HHM Clerical will complete the RPS Documentation of Free Meal Eligibility for Homeless Children.

    10. District HHM Clerical will send the completed Documentation of Free Meal Eligibility Form and then send it to Courtney Laduke (food service).

    11. Once reviewed by the Transportation Secretary, transportation will be set up through one of the contracted bus companies. Transportation Secretary will send the route information to school support staff once it is available.

    12. Transportation Secretary will contact the family with the transportation information. The bus company will also call to give the family the route information.

    13. Support staff will provide the family with a transportation card with transportation company name, phone number, and route information. Current providers include:

    May 21, 2018



    14. Twin Cities Transportation (TCT): 952-884-6824 ext. 1 Care Cab (formerly Contemporary Transportation): 612-332-2888 ext. 1 Park Adam: 952-544-7273

    15. Card will also include tips on when to call and cancel transportation for the day.


    Support staff will also consider family and student needs and provide this information in additional forms (e.g. call, voicemail, text, photo, mail, email, etc).

    16. If a student moves to a new address during the school year and still meets HHM criteria, a new transportation form is required.

    17. If a student is not getting on the bus or there are other bus-related issues, Transportation Secretary will notify school Support Staff and the school staff will follow up. The school staff will then provide an update to transportation.

    18. Decisions to suspend transportation will be made solely by the HHM Liaison, Director of Student Support Services. School staff will partner with families to problem solve transportation issues.

    19. Before the last day of school, Support Staff will determine eligibility for all HHM students for the next school year.

    a. If ineligible, Support Staff will send home the district letter which states what date their district transportation provided under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Act will end (see letter in Share Drive under Homeless Highly Mobile).

    b. If eligible, Support Staff will set up transportation for the following year by sending HHM enrollment and transportation forms to District HHM Clerical and Tena.

    c. If unsure about eligibility, Support Staff will connect with HHM families in August to determine eligibility and send HHM enrollment and transportation forms to District HHM Clerical and Tena, if eligible.

    20. If a HHM student will be transitioning into a new building, Support Staff will notify the Social Worker or Counselor in the new building about the incoming HHM students before the last day of school.

    21. Before school starts, Support Staff will reach out to HHM families to offer support and/or resources.