Summer Options in Richfield Public Schools
There are multiple programs available to students in Richfield Public Schools during the summer, including Richfield Community Education, Beacons, Spartan Camp and summer school.
Richfield Community Education
A variety of summer activities are planned for all ages: preschool, elementary, teen, family and adult. The districtwide community education catalog is delivered to all school district residents and available online for registration. Participation is open to anyone, regardless of the school they attend or where they live.
Featured youth activities include:
- Olympic Style Swim Lessons
- Art, Clay & Drawing Camps
- Soccer Camps
- Junior Spartans Basketball Camp
- Robotics Camp
- Preschool adventures
- Parent and child classes
- Youth safety programs
- Family Field Trips
- Youth Field Trips
- Driver Education training
Registration in advance is required for all classes. Explore class options and register online at richfield.ce.eleyo.com. You can also print and return the registration form. Please call 612-243-3000 if you have questions about Richfield Community Education.
The Richfield Beacons program is offering a summer program from June 15 through July 16 for K-12 students in RPS. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are included. There is no transportation provided for this program.
- Grades K-3: 2-5:30 p.m. at RDLS
- Grades 4-8: noon-5:30 p.m. at R-STEM
- Grades 9-12: from noon-3:30 at R-STEM
An additional program for students in grades K-8 will be available from July 20 through August 7 at RDLS from 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Cooking club
- STEM activities
- Literacy fun
- Arts & crafts
- DIY fun
- Friday field trips
- ...and more!
Eligible students who will be starting at Richfield High School as freshmen this fall are invited to Spartan Camp! Spartan Camp meets at Richfield High School July 20 through August 7, Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m.-noon. Breakfast and lunch are provided.
- Focus on relationship building
- Targeted skill development
- Reading strategies and study skills
- Students may earn .5 elective credit
- Bus transportation is available for students enrolled in summer school.
- Transportation information will be provided to eligible families along with summer school details.
The summer school program at Richfield Public Schools is designed to engage students in science-based, experiential learning aligned to rigorous standards through fun, hands-on activities and field trips.
- Summer school in Richfield Public Schools is designed to help students accelerate their learning in order to be grade-level ready and, for high school students, to recover missing credits.
- Students in K-8 who are eligible for summer school will be notified by school staff starting in February. High school students will be notified in May.
Eligible students finishing grades K-4 will attend summer school at Richfield Dual Language School (RDLS) and Richfield STEM Elementary. The program runs June 15 through July 16, Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Breakfast and lunch will be provided, as well as transportation within the school district.
- Kindergarten - Lifecycles
- Grade 1 - Forces in motion in nature
- Grade 2 - Minnesota ecosystems and climate
- Grade 3 - Pollinator power and the natural world
- Grade 4 - Natural resources, pollution and conservation
- All students - Project-based science activities and experiential learning
- Each student experiences outdoor learning daily
- Multiple field trips support the science curriculum
- English language learners will receive support from EL teachers.
- Students needing reading and/or math interventions will receive targeted small group skill work as well as classroom instruction.
- Dual language students will receive reading and math in Spanish, as well as targeted small group work.
Middle School Students
Eligible students finishing grades 5-7 can attend summer school at Richfield STEM School. The program runs June 15 through July 16, Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Breakfast and lunch will be provided, as well as transportation.
- Reading and math curriculum focus on maintaining grade-appropriate skills needed for classroom success and enrichment through hands-on projects
- All students participate in social-emotional learning through a daily teambuilding course
- English language learners will receive support from EL teachers through a focus on our Picturing Writing curriculum
- Project-based learning for all students
- 1:1 Chromebooks
High School Students
Eligible students from RHS who are finishing grades 9-12 can attend summer school at Richfield STEM School. The program runs June 15 through July 16, Monday-Thursday from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Breakfast and lunch will be provided, as well as transportation.
Students from RCEP who are finishing grades 10-12 can attend summer school at RCEP. The program runs June 15-26, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Credit recovery options
- Independent study with online courses, supported by a licensed teacher