Early Entrance to Kindergarten Procedures
May 2020 Update:
To ensure the best educational outcomes and most accurate assessment data possible, Richfield Public Schools is adjusting the timelines for early entrance to kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year. This adjustment will help minimize the impact of COVID-19.
We will continue to accept applications until May 8, 2020, and will accept the accompanying birth certificate and early childhood screening information until May 31, 2020.
We will begin to assess applicants at the end of July or the beginning of August, depending upon guidelines from the State of Minnesota and the CDC, which we will continue to follow.
While Richfield Public Schools does not recommend early admission to kindergarten, there are students who would benefit from starting kindergarten earlier than the recommended age. If your child turns five years old after September 1 and on or before October 31, your child is eligible for consideration for early admission to kindergarten, based upon the following procedures:
- Families/guardians must submit the Early Entrance to Kindergarten Request Form to the Director of Talent Development and Advanced Academics by April 1 of the year the child would enter school.
- Families/guardians must submit a birth record certifying the age of the child.
- Children must complete an early childhood screening before requests for early admission will be considered by the district, and must have passing scores in all areas on the early childhood screening assessment. Contact Early Childhood Screening at 612-243-3000 to schedule an appointment for screening.
- The district will contact the family to schedule a Beginning of Kindergarten Assessment, which will be conducted by a team of experts. A decision will be made based on that assessment, which includes the following:
- Academic readiness
- Social-emotional and behavioral readiness
- Developmental observations
- The district will schedule a meeting with the family/guardians to discuss the results of the assessment. If the child is recommended for early admission, they will be placed at a school with available space, after all kindergarten-eligible students are placed. The district has two elementary choice programs, which have specific enrollment language which could affect placement: 1. Richfield Dual Language School (RDLS). 2. Richfield Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics School (RSTEM). Please see the policy on Elementary Choice Programs.
- All district decisions are final