Section 600 Board Policy 655
RICHFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The School Board recognizes the positive impact that family engagement has on student achievement. The School Board desires to promote student success by encouraging and facilitating parent and family involvement in learning and particularly with respect to Title I services within the district. The purpose of this policy is to establish standards for family engagement. This policy also means to satisfy the requirements of law relative to family engagement.
- The district will be governed by the following definition to the term “parent” to include legal guardian or other person standing in place of a parent.
- Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring:
- that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
- that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
- that parents are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory activities.
III. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
A. The School Board encourages the engagement of families in their student’s education and supports district and school based staff in their efforts to increase the level and quality of family engagement.
B. The School Board endorses the District’s Family Engagement Plan which was developed pursuant to 20 U.S.C. § 6318 jointly with parents and families including those with children participating in Title I programs. The Family Engagement Plan reflects a common vision of what needs to be in place for quality family engagement across the district, sets expectations for increased levels of family engagement, and specifies what needs to happen at the district, school, classroom, and home levels for meaningful family engagement.
C. The School Board also endorses and directs annual review of the District’s Family Engagement Plan in joint cooperation with parents and families.
D. The District and individual schools will provide full opportunities for participation by families with limited English proficiency as well as those with disabilities, including the provision of information in languages and forms that are understandable by parents and guardians.
E. The District’s Family Engagement Plan will be distributed to all families annually.
III. SCHOOL LEVEL TITLE I PLAN
- Each school that receives Title I funding has developed and agreed upon jointly with parents and families a school plan for parent engagement. The agreed upon plan will be distributed to all families annually.
- Each school’s family engagement plan includes a school-family compact to outline how families, staff, and students will share responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and family will work together in partnership to help students achieve the state’s high standards. Each school’s family engagement plan will be reviewed annually for effectiveness jointly with parents and families.
Legal References: 20 U.S.C. § 6318 (Parent and Family Engagement – Title I)
Minn. Stat. § 124D.8955 (Parent and Family Engagement Policy)
ADOPTED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION: December 3, 2018